Monday, January 26, 2015

Steamstress Bracer



This is my new piece for my steampunk character!!  In my local steampunk group, when I first joined, I was one of the few who knew how to sew my own costume.  I was also known for bringing along a sewing kit/costume repair kit with me everywhere we went. I was trying to come up with accessories to help put the "punk" in my steampunk costumes and I thought this would be fun to make, since it is an accessory that played to the above traits.  To create this bracer, I came up with all the bits that went onto it.  The scissors were a gift from a fellow member of the steampunk group I am in. I ordered the bodkin (yarn needle looking piece) on ebay.  The thimble was a cheap one I had in a sewing kit and I bought new bobbins and threaded steampunky colors onto the bobbins.












I added some handmade elements by improvising a needle case out of a metal bit bought in Michael’s jewelry section.








I used some gears, clock hands and rivets (also found in the Michael’s jewelry section), along with a plain tape measure to create the measuring tape piece.

After I had all the sewing bits gathered, I handed them over to the talented owlvsoctopus (etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/owlvsoctopus) to create the wonderful piece that you see! All the pieces are removable and usable while being worn. I absolutely love this piece and can’t wait to wear it at upcoming events!

No comments:

Post a Comment