Sunday, March 15, 2015

Wild Wild West Con Outfit #2





This is the second outfit I wore to Wild Wild West Con this year.  I ended up using the corset and bustle from my original brown steampunk outfit that I posted about earlier: Evolution of my brown steampunk costume.... I decided to make a red outfit versus keeping so much brown.  I am sad, because it lost the thrift store alteration touch, but I absolutely adore how the finished product came out.




Here is the fabric I chose for the skirt.  I found it at one of my local fabric chain store.  I love the tufts and squares that add some dimension to the fabric.  I made a simple 3 gore skirt, based on a 4 gore skirt I made previously.  I added trim that matches the trim on the bustle around the bottom of the skirt.



The next piece for this ensemble was the shirt.  I had originally bought a red silky fabric to embroider for scarves, but I hadn't used it after buying it 2 years ago.  When I decided I was going to make a new shirt for this ensemble I decided to use this fabric.  I used simplicity pattern 0199 for the shirt.  I had to alter the sleeves to fit my arms, and I slightly altered the front of the shirt by making the front one cut of fabric versus 2, eliminating a seam down the front.  Using a see through fabric I had to do french seams and rolled hems to finish it and the less I had to hide, the better!

                                                               






Here is the finished shirt, and a close up of the collar.  I wore this to Wild Wild West Con and the collar fell down after a bit due to the weight of my hair and the heat.  I should have doubled it and added interfacing to make it more stable.  I think I am going to fold it over and make it a little shorter for the next time I wear it.








The last piece I made for this outfit was the petticoat to go under the skirt.  I wanted to add some real poof so I used tulle netting, lace and fabric.  The red and white fabric was left over from another costume and I bought the dress form steampunk fabric.  Too make the petticoat, I used a simple gathering method that I have used before, three tiers of fabric one larger than the other and gather the top of next tier, to size up to the tier above, then added the tulle and lace ruffles.





Here are the shots of the final outfit:
                   





No comments:

Post a Comment