Monday, March 16, 2015

Steampunk Tweedle Dum Cosplay (WWWC outfit #3)

For the last day of the wild wild west convention, the group I traveled with decided to do a group costume theme of Alice in Wonderland.  We had made these group costumes for an event last year and did updates for this convention.


The inspiration for my tweedle costume is based on the Disney version of Alice in Wonderland, but with a Lolita/steampunk twist.  The reason for the Lolita twist is due to my Tweedle Dee, she prefers the Lolita style for her steampunk costuming.


These two outfits on the right, were found on pintrest and used as the inspiration for the skirt.


For the skirt, I found red and white striped fabric to use for the actual skirt and I used black fashion leather to make the suspenders and serged them with red thread.  I constructed a muslin pattern that is similar to a gore skirt pattern, but it is shorter and I fitted it closer around the mid section and flared it more on the bottom.  I then used the muslin as the lining with interface for the mid section.  In the back is corset lacing to tighten and better fit the skirt.  The pictures below show the skirt finished and how I attached the buckles for the suspenders.



I used yellow and white striped fabric for the bloomers underneath, that show when the skirt is hiked up.  I used a PJ bottom pattern that I use often and made them into shorts.  I then added ruffles and eyelet lace to the bottom.  The shirt was bought at Torrid on clearance.          

The first time we wore these outfits, we were going to an amusement park and I didn't want a lot of fluff to make the rides cumbersome, so we went without petticoats.  For  wild wild west con, we decided to add poof with petticoats.
In the final version of this outfit, I am wearing an awesome yellow hat, with a hand crank gear propeller.  While I came up with the idea of a propeller on a top hat, it was my friend Dalbeth and her husband who designed and created the mechanism on the hat.  I am hoping that she will post it on her blog. Diary of a Wandering Costumer


No comments:

Post a Comment